Friday, February 01, 2008

Haika - Its driving me nuts!


I was playing scrabble with a friend today and I was fooling around with my tiles and finally came up with a word that the computer accepted - Haika. I didnt know the meaning but it was worth 24 points as a starting word. So I played it.





I started thinking ... Haika a really beautiful sounding word, in fact it sounded Asian most likely Japanese. I got really curious about it and went to dictionary.com to do a check on the meaning. Guess what ... it was not to be found. No such word. I then googled on the word and guess what ... haika is not to be found anywhere except name of some famous person and a website for rubber stamps.

I then went to sites like http://www.morewords.com/ and http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/ and both showed that its an allowable word in scrabble (US). However, in the link above http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/ where there is a dictionary - it returned "Sorry, no entries for haika were found."

I guess I stumbled upon an allowable english word - HAIKA which has no meaning.

Since it has no meaning ... I shall give it a meaning myself -

Haika : To cause confusion in the english language. To drive someone nuts

Oh ... if you know the true meaning of the word ... leave me a comment. Its making me haika.

15 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger coox said...

it's a variation on haik or haique which is an oblong cloth worn by Arab's around the head or body...you need a really old dictionary for that one!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Whitehawk said...

Wow ... thanks finally an answer :)

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There is a connection to Haiku. Read here: http://www.toyomasu.com/haiku/

My mother is Japanese & she says depending on the characters used to spell haika, it could also mean subordinate, follower or the end of a family line (as in no heir to the family name).

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger haika said...

My name is Haika and I am from Brasil ... my parents heard this name from a couple very white pale blonde hair type, maybe from norway
or swiss ... if somebody could lead me to my name's meaning will help

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

It's actually used by budhist monks and is a type of poem, made up of lots of verses. This then lead to the word haiku, which is very short piece of poetry.
Not sure bout the cloth around an Arabs head, never heard that before!

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have unraveled the meaning of the word and it has led you to great wisdom.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Haika is a female name used in Kilimanjaro, Moshi, Tanzania. It means Thanks.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lots of cultures, lota of definitions, but the dictionary sides with the first report.
A large, usually white, cloth worn as an outer garment in North Africa. Enjoy your word sleuthing!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lots of cultures, lota of definitions, but the dictionary sides with the first report.
A large, usually white, cloth worn as an outer garment in North Africa. Enjoy your word sleuthing!

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger haikA said...

My name is Haika and I am from Tanzania. Haika or Aika means 'thank you' in Chagga, a vernacular language of the Chagga people from Moshi, Kilimanjaro. It is a very popular name in this region and in some places in Tanzania. Haika is normally given as a name to girls :)

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

its the japanese pronounciation for walkers

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My daughter's name is Haika.I m a South African her dad is a Chagga from Marangu , Moshi region in Tanzania.She was given the name Haika by her Chagga aunt Upendo Minja.She told me that it means thank you in Chagga.I fell inlove with it first time she told me about it

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

noun - A large piece of cotton, silk, or wool cloth worn as an outer garment in Morocco.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's the true meaning of haika

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger MooPig said...

I have seen this name before, and I believe it was a character in a movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home