Saturday, December 22, 2007

Medic Alert Tattoo


YES!!! I have finally done it. Finally gotten my tattoo!

I have wanted to get a tattoo for the longest time and but didnt because of 2 reasons.

1 The pain - I do have a high tolerance to pain but not sure how bad tattoos can be.
2 I have Diabetes. Being Diabetic I do not heal well and am not sure if getting a tattoo is the smartest thing to do.

But just about 6 months ago I met up a new friend and I found out that not only is she diabetic as well (since birth) she also has close to 1/2 her body in beautiful tattoos. I went on to talk to her and ask her advice also went to the web to find out more and I realize that tattoos were ok for people with diabetes as well. They just have to control their sugar level so they heal properly.

I search high and low and found that some people have started tattoo-ing medical alert rather than wear bracelets, necklaces or ID tags. I then decided to get one done.

Firstly its gonna be small enough so if I cannot take the pain I would have told the artist to skip the logo and just tattoo the words "Medic Alert Diabetes" and if the pain was ok (and it was) I would continue to get the tattoo done.

I now realize that this is just gonna be the first of a few tattoos to come. The next one I am thinking of is a protrait of a Hawk on my chest or arm. Cant wait for that one :)

10 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Awesome!

Way to go!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger springorchid said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger dae said...

Hi! I got to your page from Tudiabetes! :) Interesting stuff. I'm a recently-diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I live in Singapore too! Drop me a comment on my blog. I'd love to get in touch with you.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Marin said...

hi all i first want to excuse for my bad english and i want to take some advice I'm a 16 years old and i have
diabet type 1 about 8 years ago now i want to get a small tattoo on my back
but the tattoo artist try to tell me that's not good idea because i have diabet i don't know that is really important but i feel is need to tell you that i was dead 3 times and they (the doktors and my parents) leave me back to life and also want to say that i often had a
low glukose and often make hypoglycemia please tell my can i get a tattoo becouse i really want it and i really sad now because i don't know what to do I'm from Bulgaria and i will be really thanksfull if you answer me to my e-mail who is msp_91@abv.bg or my skype My skype name is bama_boy_7 thank you

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Olive said...

Why not have Medic Alert tattoo in a universal place? The left hip would be perfect. It's hidden, everyone has hips, not everyone has arms or legs,and EMT would know exactly where to look in an emergency. The person with diabetes, for instance, would remember they had diabetes a bit less often because it would be under clothing most of the time. If tattoo ever had to be removed, whatever scar left behind would not be as visible. Belly not good idea because it is needed for injections, plus it stretches and shrinks leaving room for tattoo distortion. Thanks.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Olive said...

Oh, I forgot, do not get a tattoo simply because you have an A1C less than 8%. A1C merely an average of blood sugars and sugars could be high much of the time thereby increasing risk for infection. Reduce risk for infection if known healthy circulation and consistently normal glucose results at least for around the time you are going to get the tattoo. Thanks again.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tat! First of all, I am a type 1 diabetic as well and also have 2 tats but not one to show I'm diabetic. I don't like the metal bracelets and have gone to wearing the silicone variety. Since reading your blog and I am in awe of how many other diabetics have responded to you. My praises to all! I am currently working with a local tattoo artist to design a personal one for me since I lost my dad to diabetes.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger ~*bubs*~ said...

hell yeah... i am getting my tat done on wednesday for my birthday and i am getting the same thing done on my wrist!!!
way cool

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger zlistal said...

I've been thinking about getting the same thing done for quite a while as I keep losing my medic alert braclets.I to have diabetes and have done for the past 12 years, and to the person with the bad english that was talking about getting some tats done, tattoos are fine as with piercings they will just take a bit longer to heal, I've had about 54 piercings and have 6 tattoos ranging from pretty small to covering the right hand side of my torso and have never had a problem. hope this helps. If anyone would like any advice regarding tattoos and piecings in relation to how it could affect your diabetes feel free to contact me at alblackmore83@hotmail.com.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Damn! I thought I had an original tat idea when I came up with this last year... Looks good man. And don't sweat the healing. I've been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years and have had tattoos for years. Like everything else, you just have to pay extra attention while you heal slow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home